- Generators should be used only in strict accordance with manufacturer specifications and in compliance with local codes.
- Portable generators should be operated not only outside, but well away from buildings due to risk of carbon monoxide being pulled into structures.
Powering your home or business
- A portable generator should not be connected to power your entire home unless you have received all required approvals for use of a transfer switch and it has been installed by a trained professional.
- Failure to meet this requirement can risk public safety, your neighbors’ safety, TNMP line crew members’ safety and your safety.
- Non-portable generators can be used to power all or part of your entire home or business, but also require transfer switches upon installation.
Transfer switches: steps to take
TNMP allows use of open transition (break-before-make) transfer switches.
Visit TNMP's PowerClerk site to submit and track applications.