Household Electric Safety Tips
- Make sure smoke alarms are:
- Installed on every floor outside sleeping areas.
- Installed in every bedroom.
- In good working order.
- Look for tell-tale signs of electrical problems, including:
- Dimming of lights.
- Frequent circuit-breaker trips.
- Blown fuses.
- Ask a qualified electrician if your home would benefit from AFCI protection.
- Especially important during inspections of older homes or upgrades to electrical systems.
- Limit use of extension cords, particularly cords used to power room air
- Use light bulbs that are the proper wattage for the fixture.
- Higher-wattage bulbs can degrade the wires in and around the fixture.
Source: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission